Saturday, February 20, 2010


This past week, the Sistas and I( I will from here on out refer to my sisterhood friends this way), headed to NYC to listen to Rebbetzin Esther Jungreis give a D'var Torah. For those of you who are unfamiliar, a D'var Torah is an interpretation of a particular chapter of the bible.

If you remember from my previous blog, the Rebbetzin is the author of The Committed Life- a book which has changed the lives of so many of its readers. Rebbetzin Jungreis' messages that evening where similar to those she imparts in her book. And one that I remember most and repeat often is about the money we "earn" and the things we possess.

The Rebbetzin makes it clear that it is G-d who gives us what we have, and she points out that while others may work just as hard as we do, their opportunities or their earnings may not match ours.

The Rebbetzin argues that G-d gives us what we have so that we give it back in ways that make a better world, Tikkun Olam.

We do not give of ourselves or our money for a "Thank You" in return. We give of ourselves and our money because it is the righteous thing to do and because in doing so we are elevating ourselves.

This is a very important lesson and one which I take very seriously. We are all blessed with different and varied talents and riches and if we only hoard them- keep them for ourselves, if we do not use them to make this world a better place then they are waisted on us.

Giving is the most wonderful feeling in the world and is, every time, a birthday present to me the giver.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for writing the blog. I had missed the writings. I await more wisdom from my rabbi.

    ReplyDelete