Sunday, February 21, 2010


Today my son Reid and I joined our Rabbi and ten other congregants on a tour of the Jewish Museum and the Jewish Theological Seminary in NYC. It was a beautiful day to be in the big city and to walk around outside.

Reid's take on the day was that the Museum was interesting and he enjoyed seeing Columbia University, and Teacher's College where I received my MA, but he was less interested in the Seminary or the rigorous academic program of our student guide who, in a joint program, is receiving two degrees, one from Columbia and one from JTS.

I, of course, was much more intrigued with the Seminary, especially since our Rabbi, Rabbi John Schecter is the great- great grandson of the famous Solomon Schecter, who is memorialized for his contributions to Conservative Judaism not only at the Seminary but by the many day schools named after him.

We finished our tour with an Israeli lunch at Nana's, with great food and conversation.

The day brought back many memories and made me miss living in NYC.

Maybe its like when I hold a baby and think how great it would be to have a newborn, but then quickly, and I mean really very quickly, I remember all the work it took, and still takes, to raise my three sons, and I am happy to just enjoy holding the baby for that moment.

Maybe that's how NYC is for me. It is so wonderful to spend the day, the energy is inspiring, but there is also something nice in not hearing sirens out my window in the middle of the night.

Well, for now I live in Bernardsville, let's see where life takes me. Today's gift is that I got to spend the day with my youngest son, doing something interesting and enjoying the company of others. The sun was shining, NYC was vibrant and I felt invigorated.




No comments:

Post a Comment