Wednesday, June 2, 2010

My Name is Asher Lev


My eldest son John graduated high school this past weekend and after a whirlwind of ceremonies and fiestas, we returned home to a restful memorial monday.

Tired as I was, I used my time wisely; rereading one of my all time favorite books, My Name is Ahser Lev, written by Chaim Potok.

I had read the book as a teen and didn't remember much about it, but I now know why, way back when, I liked it so much.

On the surface it is the struggle between father and son, but it is also the stuggle between man's need to be true to himself by following his heart and pursuing his personal desires, and his obligation to "do the right thing" or to follow the laws and expectations set forth by his faith, his culture, his family and his community.

Being the person who I am, I believe Ahser Lev made the wrong decision is pursuing his personal goals at the expense of others, but I am certain that there are many who would disagree and it would make for a healthy and lively debate.

Every book I read, ( because they are so carefully chosen), adds to my understanding of human nature and to a deeper understanding of self.

And, I will count each book I read this year as a fiftieth birthday gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment